How would you explain the need to use Fate Points to tag an Aspect, for newcomers to the system? Some players are asking me "If I have the Aspect 'As strong as Hercules', don't I automatically get a bonus when trying to break stuff? Why do I need to spend a Fate Point?"
Some far the reasons I have are:
- It represents the effort you have invested in having that Aspect. It's the 'karma' cost of having the Aspect.
- It represents luck. You spend the Fate Point to prevent other environmental factors from nullifying your advantages
- Aspects only come in when you need a bonus to your dice roll; so it's a heroic action which costs -something-
- It represents the flow of karma. You have to pay something to be stronger than most people.
- It's a mechanical shorthand for all the modifiers found in other games. Since everyone needs to pay Fate points for Aspects, it all balances out in the end.
Any other good explanations?