I'm wondering how to emulate a "gadget of the week" concept for a Mutants & Masterminds 3e character. A Device or Equipment that the character builds or has built herself or that is given to her and which cannot change for a given amount of time (probably once per session or only changeable when in the character's workshop or back at the base).
Do note that I'm not talking about the Inventor advantage: even if it's built by the character, it should be happening off-screen, probably between sessions and not require checks or anything. The character just has one gadget choice per session/adventure.
The gadget could potentially be anything, that is have any sort of Effect(s).
Not looking for a multitool / Sonic screwdriver which would probably be done with Alternate Effects and changeable at will.
- "Good news everyone! I have just built the Marvel-o-tron, capable of beautifying anything!"
- "We need to go to the center of the Earth? Perfect! I've been wanting to test out my Tunnel Maker forever!"
- "Well Jameson, didn't W give you some useful gadget for this mission?" "Hmm, he did give me this pen which is also a grappling gun."
I suppose this could even include actual powers bestowed by fickle deities ("okay, yesterday I could breathe in water, today I can fly"). I have the feeling it won't change too much whether it's about magic, powers, devices or equipment sets.
- The effects you get are out of your control: it's given by a higher entity such as The Agency or Athena the goddess.
- The nature of the gadget is defined beforehand (beginning of session, when accessing workshop) OR can be defined conveniently before the first use in a "I happen to have this in my pocket" fashion (much more powerful, should probably cost more). Those who know Spirit of the Century might recognize the Universal Gadget stunt.
- The gadget could be a set such as a toolbox with various Alternate Effects. That said, all effects should still be defined once for a given amount of time.
My current thoughts:
My first idea is Variable with a limitation of "once per session" or "only changeable while in workshop", but often Variable is too broad and there are more elegant ways to emulate the concept, so there might be something better. Is there?
I'm looking for the best way to emulate the concept first (being able to do exactly that), then the most cost-worthy way. I value emulation of concept over min-maxing.
Help with the variations is also welcome: Quirk, Limited, ...?