Role-playing Games Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for gamemasters and players of tabletop, paper-and-pencil role-playing games. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The warlock in my group fell off a ladder and lost an arm. Where he used to have both a dagger and an implement, he can hold only his implement (rod) now.

Can he, both mechanically and realistically take a swing at an adjacent enemy with the rod, possibly as an improvised weapon? Can this be done with any implement?

share|improve this question
What did he fall onto that he lost an arm? A wood chipper? What happened to magical healing? – Oblivious Sage Feb 11 '13 at 21:24
I agree with Oblivious Sage, the original situation you are describing isn't something 4e covers in its rules in any sense. If your DM is forcing this on you and you feel like going along with it multiclass to use staff or dagger implements which as Glen Nelson points out are already weapons. – Joshua Aslan Smith Feb 12 '13 at 22:46
I didn't find details necessary, but the full story is that the character was pretty much killed (I'm the GM) in a fight. I let him keep the character, but with a serious wound (he's got some dex penalties, but doesn't mind it much). – Ravn Feb 13 '13 at 21:11
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Improvised weapons are described as:

Any small melee - DDI

Improvised one-handed melee weapon

Cost: — gp

Damage: 1d4

Weight: 1–5 lb.

Improvised weapons include anything you happen to pick up, from a rock to a chair.

This would apply to any implement except a Staff and anything already a weapon. Staff's can be used as quarterstaves, and weapons you would use as weapons.

Also note, there is an at-will warlock power for melee combat, called Eldritch Strike, in PH Heroes: Series 1.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.