Round-robin storytelling has been around for a while, and something I have always been interested in experimenting with a variation of DM'ing where players take turns becoming the DM in the same campaign and storyline.
Without proper planning, this could be very chaotic and not very satisfying, however.
What are some methods for switching up who is the DM in the same game? I know this is an odd approach, but something myself and friends would like to try. Are there any resources for this out there? Have you tried this already? Important items I want to consider:
- What happens to a player's PC when the player becomes DM?
- Which PC does the last DM get when a new DM steps up?
- How to encourage working together and building off of past DM efforts?
- How to discourage sabotaging each DM's efforts and DM decisions that will mostly benefit the PC that DM will later regain control of?
- Anything else you think is important to consider here.
Thanks for any help!