The spell Blink raises some interesting problems.
First, many players believe the spell allows its recipient to attack with the benefits of invisibility (+2 to attacks, denial of Dexterity AC bonuses to the target--making it a really good effect for Sneak Attacking). I disagree, and don't believe the writeup of the spell supports this interpretation -- it talks about miss chances and blind fighting, which are similar considerations to invisibility, but this doesn't necessarily indicate that one gains these offensive benefits. A person under a Blink effect is only unseen in the time they are Not Actually Present ( at those moments they are in another dimension). Thus, for the 80% of attacks the Blinking character is in the Material plane for, these benefits would not apply. The other 20% of attacks the issue is moot -- they are unseen because they are in another dimension, but their attacks would not affect someone on the material plane so their visibility is kind of irrelevant. Unless such attacks can hurt someone on the material plane from the ethereal (very rare -- perhaps a weaponlike Transdimensional Spell could do it) the attacks would not get the offensive benefits of invisibility. Do you think me wrong on this?
Second, how does one handle grappling a Blinking character? I can't find anything approaching a definitive authority on this. I houseruled that initiating a grapple is handled like any other attack: if the initial touch attack avoids the 50% miss chance, a grapple check is made and if successful the Blinking character takes the attacker's unarmed damage, and the attacker moves into the Blinker's square. But I ruled that the grapple cannot be maintained and the Blinker is treated as if materializing inside a solid object -- the blinker is shunted to the nearest open square and takes 1d6 damage/square, but automatically escapes the grapple. I've seen others rule that grappling attempts automatically fail from the start (like Freedom of Movement) and still others rule that a successful grapple suppresses the Blink effect. I don't believe there is an official ruling on this. Am I wrong? What do you think is the right, or at least best, way to handle this issue?