I did not find the right question, so if this has a duplicate, simply relink this question.
As a treat for my players I would like to master a very good dungeon. Good means:
- It should be free or so good that you would spend $10 bucks to buy it.
- It is quite big and/or tricky to understand.
- It has a valid purpose to exist (Backstory, who build this, why isn't it (completely) plundered, who are the inhabitants)
- No logical errors / plotholes (You know: No missing bathrooms/food/lodging, no traps in often used environments, no 50 monsters living peacefully together in separate rooms, but attacking players on sight).
- It has refined NPCs who have their characteristics, purposes and destinations.
- Rightly done, it builds a lot of suspense.
I hope that this is specific enough; perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but really good dungeons seems to be rare.
"In media res" is really cool, but My players like their
characters, so "Tomb of Horrors" is out of question.
Setting is fantasy/medieval (we are playing The Dark Eye), but there is no problem to adjust the dungeon if the core adventure is OK.