I've read Mage the Ascension rules like ten times, and still have problems with Paradox, specially in the Backlash.
In revised edition, each time you gain Paradox, you roll the Paradox pool, and for each success, a Paradox point is expended in the Backlash. Ok.
But when describing the Backlash, there are several effects described:
- Damage directly delivered to the magician.
- Paradox Flaws, like the watch running backwards or loosing the facial features.
- More exotic effects, like Paradox Spirits, Paradox Realms, Quiet or Hobgoblins.
The thing I can't understand is if these effects happens all or only one. I think that Paradox Spirits, Realms and so on, substitute the Paradox Flaws. But I don't know if Paradox Flaws substitute the damage or those things are cumulative.
So, I see these different options:
- Damage OR Flaw OR Realm OR Spirit ...
- Damage AND (Flaw OR Realm OR Spirit ...)
- Damage AND Flaw AND (everything the Storyteller wants to include)
Do you know which one is correct (if any)?