One of Eclipse Phase's taglines is "Your Mind is Software: Program it."
but is it actually legal/reasonable in play?
Eclipse has a large number of ranges weapon skills:
- Kinetic Weapons: Things that shoot bullets
- Beam Weapons: Things that shoot lasers
- Spray Weapons: Things that shoot out a over a Cone
- Seaker Weapons: Things that are homing
Then there is Gunnery: "covers the use and maintenance of large, vehicular, or non-portable weapons systems. Firing these weapons is more like playing a video game than firing a gun."
There are no example weapons in the book, I believe this is because either the weapons is: extremely damaging, and thus uses narrative damage (ie as the GM describes); Or it is not so very large, eg a remote control mounted machine gun can just use the normal machine gun's stats.
So any kind of weapon could be remote controlled, whether it is Beam, Kinetic, Spray or Seeker. Doesn't matter as the control mechanism is all much the same.
So weapons fired using Gunnery are mounted on hydraulics (or similar), and are controlled with a joystick (or similar). In a synth-morph, your limbs are computer controlled hydraulics (or similar). That computer happens to be your cyber-brain. It is logically possible to create program, that controls your limbs - as gun control mounts, and uses AR (Augmented Reality) to cause you to see a joystick in front of you and your arm movements moving the joystick (and using AR, to removing having to see your actual arm movements). This would let you use Gunnery for any Gun.
To go into more detail about what you would need:
- Control/AR program to control the gun/your arm. Made with Programming Skill or pay someone to make it, probably cost High.
- Physics Model for the Gun, to plug into the control program. Obviously different guns are going to have different recoil etc. Potentially all beam weapons could use the same model, but all most all kinetic weapons would need a different one. Made using the Profession/Academics: Physics Field Skill. Or pay someone to make it, probably cost Moderate. Sure the gun is smaller than most guns used with gunnery, but the Physics model can take that into account.
Once you have these, all it means to pick up a new gun, is to load up its physics model. Then when you go to shoot, AR kicks in, and you may use the Gunnery Skill.
I'm not sure if this is legal or not, Further-more, I'm not sure if it should be.
On the one hand, it lets you avoid having to buy all the others skills, and thus can just invest your Rez points in Gunnery to be good at everything. On the other hand, it is so fitting with the Fluff, and intended feel of EclispePhase: (to repeat) Your Mind is Software: Program it.