How do elemental damage types affect a weapon?
For example let's say I had a regular great-axe that ended up doing 10 damage. But, some other guy had a Flaming +1 great-axe that did 10 fire damage. What would be the difference other than fire damage having synergy with a few feats?
Like does the fire damage do some damage over time? Does it brighten up the room? In the PHB1 it has the following descriptions but what do they really do in terms of combat?
- Acid: Corrosive liquid.
- Cold: Ice crystals, arctic air, or frigid liquid.
- Fire: Explosive bursts, fiery rays, or simple ignition.
- Force: Invisible energy formed into incredibly hard yet nonsolid shapes.
- Lightning: Electrical energy.
- Necrotic: Purple-black energy that deadens flesh
- and wounds the soul.
- Poison: Toxins that reduce a creature’s hit points.
- Psychic: Effects that target the mind.
- Radiant: Searing white light or shimmering colors.
- Thunder: Shock waves and deafening sounds.