Aside from a highly specialized and purpose-built website, perhaps the best option I can think of for managing an asynchronous online RPG is "Play By Wiki". I've found there's a great number of services out there, which offer varying levels of support for setting up this kind of game.
Here's what I'm looking for in a hosted Play-By-Wiki solution:
- Features in this list must be included at no cost.
- Edit permissions are granted only to specified users.
- Read permissions may be public.
- Unlimited number of wiki pages.
- Unlimited number of community users.
- Site is hosted on the service provider's servers and is fully functional "out-of-the-box".
- Storage space available for file attachments.
- No programming background or experience necessary. WYSIWYG editor preferred.
- "Talk" section for each page, to discuss actions before posting to the wiki.
Some things that would be good to have, but are not mandatory (can be found on other sites, managed separately, or disregarded entirely):
- Map and Character management tools.
- Secure dice rolling.
- Combat Manager
What services are out there that meet this criteria?