This years story of our fantasy combat LARP features the siege of a city. Eventually this will culminate in a battle, where there is an actual siege of a palisade-type fortification, including siege weapons (we have done this successfully several times in the past).
This year we had the idea to include a dwarven party supporting the agressor: by supplying them with a dwarven siege cannon. What we're still struggling with, is how to make the cannon safe, and fun.
- It must be safe for our participants - for combatants and the crew manning the cannon.
- The cannon should shoot real projectiles of some sort
- The cannon will not shoot at people deliberately, but will instead be used against the walls/gate.*
- Of course it must still be safe if one of the combatants were to be hit accidentally!
- A range of, say, 30-50 meters would be nice (could be somewhat ballistic).
- If at all possible the cannon should make a loud booming noise when fired
- It would also look cool if there was a nice puff of smoke when fired.
How could we build a cannon which meets our above requirements?
A good answer would include:
- Experience with cannons (or other "gunpowder" weapons) in LARP
- What projectile is used
- How it is propelled
- How the cannon could be built
- How special effects could be achieved (sound/smoke/...)
*) The idea is that after X hits with the cannon the gate/some section of wall will "collapse", i.e. be opened manually.