For asking questions about the problems inherent in someone being new to the game master (GM) role.
Use this tag when the problem is inherently about being new to GMing, not just when the problem is caused by or the result of being new to GMing.
If the problem is about some other aspect of running roleplaying games, and being new to GMing is why you don't know the answer, don't use new-gm. Instead, use a tag that describes the problem you're experiencing. In particular, questions about how a game works should have the tag for that game system, and don't need this tag.
If in doubt, leave it out!
Other subject tags
There are a few other "new to RPGs" tags that are more specific, and when they apply they should be used instead of new-gm:
- system-introduction — For questions about how to learn or teach a particular game or system. (Not used when just asking for rules clarifications.)
- gm-techniques — For questions about or asking for specific techniques to achieve specific effects, used while GMing.
- gm-preparation — For questions about preparing yourself and your materials for a game session.
- campaign-development — Whether a new or experienced GM, preparing a campaign is a whole topic on its own.
- adventure-writing — Everyone is new to designing/writing adventures at some point, even experienced GMs.
- problem-gm — For asking questions about a GM who may be causing or connected to conflicts in the gaming group, regardless of whether the GM is new or not. See also group-dynamics.
- group-dynamics — Use this tag if you're trying to figure out how to pick your GM or how to manage changing GMs.