World of Darkness 2nd edition (formerly known as "God-Machine Chronicle Rules Update") is a rules revision for the new World of Darkness. NWoD 2e began as the God-Machine Chronicle Rules Update (GMC), which was a new edition in all but name. In August 2014 "GMC" was officially rebranded as a new edition.
Its differences from the New World of Darkness line (1st edition) are pronounced. Questions about 2nd edition should not be tagged with both new-world-of-darkness and new-world-of-darkness-2e, unless the question applies to both; setting questions are a good example of this as it has not changed significantly between editions.
The God Machine Chronicle Rules Update
The God Machine Rules Update (GMC-RU) was first released as an appendix to The God Machine Chronicle setting/story book.
It required and modified the World of Darkness Core Rules. While it changed many rules (such as adding conditions to partially replace Flaws and Derangements, changing the XP system significantly using Beats, and modifying combat damage), some content such as skill and attribute use was not changed and could only be found in the nWoD 1e core books, or in one of the fully stand-alone "God Machine era" games such as Blood and Smoke.
However most content from earlier nWoD could not be directly used without modification, merits in particular. However the GMC-RU includes a "best of" collection of merits from a variety of nWoD books (such as Armoury and Second Sight), converted and updated to the new system.
The God-Machine Rules Update is still available as a free download for NWoD 1st edition players.
Games and books using the New World of Darkness 2nd edition rules
- The World of Darkness 2nd edition — not yet released
- The God-Machine Chronicle (a setting book, with the now-obsolete GMC-RU in the appendix)
- Vampire: the Requiem 2nd edition (formerly published as Blood and Smoke: The Strix Chronicle)
- Demon: the Descent (includes GMC-RU in the appendix)
- Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd edition (formerly The Idigam Chronicle)
- Beast: the Primordial — coming in 2015
- Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition (formerly The Fallen World Chronicle) — not yet released
- Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition (formerly The Firestorm Chronicle) — not yet released
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition (formerly The Huntsman Chronicle) — not yet released
- Mortal Remains, a conversion guide for mortals/Hunter: the Vigil, though it can also be used to supplement a existing nWoD 1e game without using the GMC-RU or NWoD 2e.