There are a couple of great questions on this site about tools to manage campaign notes. I'm looking for something more specific; it may not exist.
What tool or tools have you used to keep track of the spell list for a game? With hundreds of spells to manage, I need more intelligence than just a list or a list with cross-links (like a wiki). I'd love to be able to sort and filter like Excel, but also make it available online for players and playtesters to see, comment on, and maybe edit. Any recommendations?
I started with Evernote, because I could make notes from any computer or my phone when inspiration struck. As the list got longer I switched to Excel so I could easily count the number of spells in each school of magic and each power level. The best way I know of to have both would be a little MySQL database and basic PHP front end, but I'd rather not spend a weekend on this if there's a decent alternative!
Per seven-sided's comments, here's my wish list:
- Convenient editing, such as a wiki markup format; raw HTML is a last resort.
- The data should be either in a web format or easily exportable to the web, so I can easily share it with others. I have web space already, so hosting is not a requirement.
- I'd like least two views: a list form showing all 500+ spells, and a detail view showing complete specs for one spell.
- I'd like to be able to record tags upon which I could sort or filter. E.g., show me all Fire spells, or all fourth-level spells.
- The ability to add or edit content from anywhere would be a big plus.
- User-generated comments would be nice to have.
I suppose this boils down to one thing: a wiki with a list-management feature. Now that I think of it, tools meant for managing monsters or NPCs would probably work too.
Here's what I'm picturing for a summary:
School | Spell | Circle | Target | Range | Duration | Mana Cost | Summary | List of Variants and Perfections Air Flight 5th Caster N/A 1 hour 10 XXX Gift of Flight, Lasting Flight
A good data-driven source should be able to use the same table to create this grid summary and to create a statblock on each spell's details page:
Spell: Flight School: Air Circle: 5th Target: Caster Range: N/A ...