Here's my understanding of how compelling works in Fate Accelerated (not sure if it works the same in Core). It's the rejection part I'm not too clear on.
- Any player (including the GM) can offer a Fate Point to compel a character (including their own) based on one of their Aspects to make their life more complicated and dramatic. These can be of a few kinds:
- Decision Compels: When a character has to make a decision, compel them to make it a certain way because of an Aspect they have.
- Event Compels: When a character is prone to some problematic action, or there’s something in their past that causes them trouble from time to time, compel that thing to happen.
- If they are compelling themselves, they automatically accept the compel. Otherwise, the compelled player can accept or reject the compel.
- Accept: take the Fate Point and narrate the compelled decision or event.
- Reject: pay a Fate Point to ignore the compel. The compelled player gets their Fate Point back? They lose the Point anyway?