I'm running a Dark Heresy V2 campaign and am up to four sessions. The characters are:
- a former trade-princess now seeking revenge for the Inquisitor who raided her family (because of shady connections with heretic stuff, but she does not know that)
- a tech-savvy highborn infiltrator enrolled in an Administratum corp (AC) specialized in the recovery of recently rediscovered planets
- a agoraphobic Arbites specialized in protection and crowd control
- a psyker with a father complex.
That band, which of no members know each other, was sent by Inquisitor A to gather information on a planet who was recently recovered, and report any informations that might be relevant for the Inquisition (my players played several Dark Heresy campaigns and are well versed in Warhammer 40.000 lore, so I did not precised the nature of informations).
Their cover is to work within AC. Problem is, AC is under indirect control of Inquisitor B, who wants to seize the planet and its various psy-related resources for himself. And one of my PCs is currently collaborating with him in order to allow AC to take total control over the local government.
I struggle in making my band work together. They don't have any shared backstory before the campaign and their skillset is really different.
- The trader is negotiating contracts with local nobility to regenerate the local economy (and using its influence to plant weapons on the field to facilitate Inquisitor B coup against local government).
- The infiltrator is doing field data collection, and occasionally report to the local chief of AC
- The psyker is more or less guided by the events and does not do anything in particular. He was in contact with a Warp entity central to the plot, so he may become a conduit for tips, or horrendous demonic manifestations
- The arbitrator is training a local militia and protecting the other characters while they are on the field
So far, the only moment they shared together was the interrogation of a shadow local operative send by an equally shadowy psyker-killing organization. They shared a gameplay moment together and it was nice to see and play, according to their feedbacks.
But I fail to find coherent and/or cool ideas to make them work on the same objective (because "collecting informations" is vague at best), or even to bring them together on a common place.
The session starting this evening will see the psyker and arbitrator going to a riot trying to contain it, while the infiltrator will free the operative they captured earlier to trace his employers. I have not yet devised what the trader will do, I was planning on roleplaying a long discussion between her and the chief of AC, the latter wanting to see if he can entrust her to work openly with Inquisitor B.
I realize while writing this message that the main issue is to put together the trader and the rest of the group.
Do you have any advices on how to create and renew my group cohesion?