I saw the question "Is there a campaign wiki with mobile support" and realized that perhaps I could find what i was looking for with a more targeted question.
I am organizing a plot team (for a LARP) that recently moved from 3 people to 5 people (keeping only 2 of the original team) and I don't think our current solution is going to continue to be adequate. Right now, we are using:
- a set of forums for discussing plot-related issues. Currently a lot of our plot info is posted there, though it is not organized well. Examples of posts that should be here are "This is a concept I have" or "Here is a module I intend to run this weekend."
- a google group (email list for plot) that players can submit info to and that notifies the rest of plot when a response is sent. We discuss the issues internally (sometimes) and then copy the group with our response.
- a TikiWiki that has basic campaign information posted. For example, "this is an ongoing plot," or "this is a faction of people and these are their motivations," or "this is a city and here is information about it."
- a Dropbox folder that has a TON of information: PC character sheets, our monster and NPC stat-card database (in Excel with VBA), stat-card template documents, the most up-to-date version of our campaign map, dungeon write-ups, etcetera.
- a ton of hand-written notes
- a ton of PMs from the in-game forum (Small Machine Forums)
I would like to merge the information that we have in our current wiki with a lot of the info in our DropBox folder, our mailing list forum, discussions on our forums, and so on.
This is what we need:
- Good mobile support (Android, iOS) - both for reading and editing
- Support multiple users potentially attempting to edit the same page simultaneously
- Allow in-line image-posting, linking, thumbnails, downloading, and re-uploading
- Easily export or import the entire wiki (with or without file-system access; without is preferable but not required) so that I could download the page, edit it on-site (where we don't have internet) and then upload it again
- Allow in-line editing (no saying "oh hey you need to re-upload this page")
- Save login sessions and allow a user to login from multiple devices simultaneously
- Intuitive markup
- Discussion pages for wiki pages so that we don't have to use the wiki, skype, etcetera, to say "this doesn't look right."
- Version control - this is pretty standard among wikis...
- Minimal privacy controls (it needs to be hidden from people who aren't on plot; I don't need to prevent group A from viewing file C)
- An enforced hierarchical structure: TikiWiki does not have this.
This is what I would like:
- Simple image-editing - the ability to open an image that is linked on the site, save it and have it save the changes to the site version, if you choose.
- Even better than that would be Integration with a map editor
- Ability to embed Word and Excel documents (with an appropriate plugin, if there is one) - this way we could get rid of our Dropbox dependency.
- Templates - for stat cards, which all have the same format.
- Printer mode for individual pages - specifically for the stat cards, mostly.
- Integration with a mailing list in a similar manner to the googlegroups interface - basically, someone can email [email protected] and that generates a wiki-page on which plot can discuss the issue before responding. We already have this functionality and I could just link to the existing page, but if a place already has this functionality, all the better! I would rather use 1 tool than 2, assuming the same basic functionality.
- Easily set up on our own server
I looked into MonkeyPirate TiddlyWiki, but I got the impression while reading the page that introduced it to me that it did not support the sort of collaboration tools, mobile browser support, or image editing integration that I was hoping for. I may be wrong - feel free to tell me so.