Can Elemental Manipulation be used in creating a wand?
Answer: Unclear - Probably not, but consult GM.
Replacement Powers: The following school powers replace the force missile and elemental wall powers of the evocation school.
Elemental Manipulation is the 8th-level replacement of the class ability Elemental Wall for the evocation wizard that chooses Admixture.
Elemental Manipulation (Su):
At 8th level, you can emit a 30-foot aura that transforms magical energy. Choose an energy type from acid, cold, electricity, and fire, and a second type to transform it into. Any magical source of energy of this type with a caster level equal to or less than your wizard level is altered to the chosen energy type. This includes supernatural effects from creatures with Hit Dice no greater than your caster level. For example, you could transform a white dragon’s frigid breath weapon (a supernatural ability), but not a fire elemental’s fiery touch (an extraordinary ability). If an effect lies only partially within your aura, only the portions within the aura are transformed. You can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to your wizard level. The rounds do not need to be consecutive.
The Replaced Feature:
Elemental Wall (Sp)
At 8th level, you can create a wall of energy that lasts for a number of rounds per day equal to your wizard level. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. This wall deals acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage, determined when you create it. The elemental wall otherwise functions like wall of fire.
The questions that need to be answered are
- Whether or not Elemental Manipulation affects the source of the energy effect or whether it affects the effect itself.
Firstly, it would appear from the description of Elemental Manipulation that the source of the energy effect in question is the restricting factor, namely, extraordinary abilities cannot be affected. This suggests that the Elemental Manipulation does, in fact, affect the source, not the effect itself.
- Whether the Elemental Manipulation temporarily transforms the effect/source, permanently transforms the effect/source, or simply filters the energy passing through it into another type of energy.
This is not clearly stated in the description of Elemental Manipulation, therefore, it is open to interpretation, however, simple logic can help guide decision making in this matter. The ability Elemental Manipulation replaces Elemental Wall, and therefore, should be similar, if not equal in power to Elemental Wall. Elemental Wall does not allow the wizard to create a permanent wall of elemental energy, so allowing an Admixture evocation wizard to permanently transform an energy source from another creature into another energy type, does not seem like an equally powerful replacement. For example, if a group of adventurers had somehow gained access to fire immunity, and ventured into a white dragon's lair, should the wizard of the group be able permanently replace the white dragon's cold breath attack to a fire breath attack? Probably not. That would not be an equally powerful tool compared to making a wall of ice, and it can be assumed that this was not the intention.
- How this translates to wand making.
If the wand was affected by the supernatural ability Elemental Manipulation at the time of creation, this would not permanently transform the spell cast into the wand into another energy type, because the effects of the ability are assumed to only be in effect while the supernatural ability is active. However, your GM could say one or more of the following that would allow you to use this ability while creating a wand.
- (My interpretation as your GM is that) the spells cast from a wand are stored instances of spells already cast that you release on command, therefore, when the spells were cast into the wand they were affected by this ability and therefore, continue to act that way as if Elemental Manipulation were cast on it as the spell was released.
- (My interpretation as your GM is that) the ability Elemental Manipulation does, in fact, permanently alter the source of the energy, in which case, the wand would be altered to cast spells of the altered energy type.
- I'm your GM and I say you can.
Never forget that that is a valid reason, players.