We are looking for small creatures that can serve as frequent messengers between PCs and their factions or sponsors during an adventure. Consider owls like in Harry Potter which seemed to be able to travel farther than regular birds and could also always find exactly the person to whom they were delivering.
Traits that would optimize a creature for delivering messages include:
- Speed/Translocation: The greater the speed, the better the creature. Owls in Potter seemed to travel virtually any distance. Gates? Teleport? Skills with either might be ideal.
- Discernment: The more that the creature can find its intended recipient - the better the creature. Like dogs trained on the scent of a shirt.
- Non-sentient (or only mildly so): The more a creature is a commodity that everyone can use (rather than a precious sentient being) the better.
- Discreetness: The smaller the messenger the better so it can get through small windows or doors unobstrusively, quietly or invisibly to reach the PCs each day (i.e. think of Dobby the house elf)
- Two Way Communication: A great messenger would be one that can return with a message as well.
If a matching creature doesn’t exist, using the “skinning” guidelines would be acceptable (similar to how Constructs in adventures are often listed as “use stats for X”) rather than making up a new creature.
In sum, what is/are the best creatures with a constellation of talents that could be “skinned” to serve as effective in-game messengers (akin to Potter’s owl)?