Can I level quickly by exploiting acquired templates?
Inspired by Quadratic Wizard's question.
This requires a friendly lycanthrope, a cleric, and a bucket of water:
- Be a normal character with a few levels. Assume you start at level 4 with 6000 xp.
- Get bitten by a were-rat, fail the save as needed to contract lycanthropy. Your LA goes up by 2 and you gain a level of rat HD. Your XP total probably doesn't change, and you are now ECL 7.
- Drown yourself.
- Get Raised, losing a level. Assume you can't just lose the rat level, but either way. You are now ECL 6, and "The victim’s experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level." (i.e. to 18,000).
- Get cured of lycanthropy. You lose the LA and the racial hit die, and so are now level 3 with 18000 XP.
- It's not clear what happens then, but probably the limit on gaining enough xp to level twice also applies to having enough experience to level twice, so you would gain a level and enough xp to be one shy of the following level, and lose the rest. So you are now at level 4 and 9,999 experience.
Where is the flaw?