Let's say that I am a lv9 druid who just cast Awaken on my wolf animal companion. I feel like I don't fully understand the mechanical changes that occur as a result. What I understand so far is:
- Wolf int is now 3d6, Cha +1d3, +2d8 health
- Wolf is friendly to druid by default, but acts and grows independently
- Gains ability to speak/understand one language (more with positive int modifier)
What I am unclear about:
- What is the wolf's class level?
- Who plays the wolf? GM or druid player?
- Does the wolf gain xp as if a member of the party?
- Is there anything I'm missing?
- Does the wolf retain stats gained through nature's bond with druid, or are they reverted to the stats of a normal animal of their type, but with the specified bonuses?
- Can anyone provide examples of how awakened animal companions are usually handled, both mechanically and narratively?