This question already has an answer here:
- Do Fireballs generate explosive force? 4 answers
Recently I had a Warlock character who woke up trapped in a wooden coffin with no knowledge of how he got there. It wouldn't move when he tried to roll around in it, and there wasn't room to try to break out manually (a la Kill Bill).
In a panic since he is claustrophobic, he quickly casts Fireball targeted on himself to try to bust out. However, the coffin happened to have been formed around where he fell asleep, in the middle of Leomund's Tiny Hut, surrounded by sleeping party members.
Which of the following should happen?
- My character takes damage and the coffin remains in tact.
- My character takes the damage and the coffin breaks open.
- My character takes the damage, the coffin breaks open, and the rest of the party get to have a Dex save to take reduced damage.
- My character takes the damage, the coffin breaks open, and the rest of the party auto-fail the Dex save since they were asleep.