The other side of this question: What creature(s) can a Moon Druid transform into that would benefit from their armor? (Note: the link had Apes as the only answer, but ignore that for the sake of this current question.)
The druid's Wild Shape feature description says:
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. [...]
- You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the GM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment. Your equipment doesn't change to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can't wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.
What gear would benefit a druid both in their standard form and when they take the form of a large creature?
Several factors to consider:
- I mean the in-game concept of Large, as in a 2x2 square creature
- Only items in official books or modules
- It needs to provide a benefit to both forms. A cape that provides a natural AC of 12 won't benefit much when almost all large beasts have a natural AC of 13+
- Assume the magic item does not resize
- The Moon druid would be about level 6-8, meaning
- No Wondrous/Artifact items
- Has CR 2 or less beasts available
Some things that come to mind:
- Or anything you can justify
The perfect answer I'm hoping for will be one that has the largest benefit from the magical item they refer, with justification as to how important and valid that benefit is.