In my game one of my players said he wanted to make a new character and get him prepared so he can switch out characters soon. I asked him what he wanted to play and he asked if he could have his race be skeleton. I told him that I would have to see if I could find something official and not homebrew and if I could I would let him play one. Anyone have an idea of where I could find an official skeleton race?
There is no skeleton race for the PCs but...
There is a Skeleton race for NPC in the DMG p282, this can be a good starting point
- +2 Dex, -4 Int, -4 Cha
- Vulnerable to bludgeoning damage
- Immune to exhaustion
- Immune to poison
- Darkvision 60ft
- Can't speak but understands the languages it knew in life
There is no official skeleton race. The closest thing to it is the Revenant race from the Gothic Heroes Unearthed Arcana, which is an undead. However, Unearthed Arcana is playtest material, which may or may not be any better than homebrew.
There is no official Skeleton-like race for players.
If it's just for appearance and role-play purposes, you could suggest that he picks an existing race and be an undead/skeleton version of that. To keep it RAW you could state that all stats are exactly the same as the original race.
But if he wanted to play a skeleton because of any potential racial bonuses or traits, you will have to homebrew this.
To my knowledge there is no official "skeleton" race.
I'm afraid it would have to be home-brewed (the closest thing I can think of is the Revenant, which popped up in an Unearthed Arcana a while back),
I could not find a official skeleton race, but there's a way to officially play an undead.
In Tomb of Annihilation, there's a section with rules for a player to be raised as a zombielike creature.
A deceased character can be reanimated by Nanny Pu'pu in Mbala in Chult using the Rite of Stolen Life (p. 73).
The section states:
A character transformed by this ritual into the walking dead regains all its hit points and retains its statistics, except as noted here:
- The character is considered an undead, not a humanoid, and is subject to all effects that target undead. The character doesn’t need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe.
- The character’s hit point maximum is reduced by 1d4 at dawn each day, representing the physical decay of the body. No spell or effect can halt or counteract this decay.
- If the character’s hit point maximum drops to 0, the gemstone embedded in the character’s forehead shatters, and the character becomes a corpse once more.
A character that is turned into the walking dead and later raised or resurrected loses all memory of being an undead creature, but it doesn’t lose any levels or XP gained while it was undead.
There is no official skeleton race beyond the revenant as other answers have stated.
As a DM I have allowed my players to use an awesome set of undead races that have home-brewed