In our Kingmaker campaigh, the wizard (who is not too shy with necromancy) is thinking about heavyload transportation, as in all the stone and ore from mines, building materials and whatnot.
Typical "freighter" is a caravan of many people with many horses, mules and maybe bulls and other strong animals who push a cart. Teleportation and bags of holding/portable holes are indeed faster and more efficient, specially if teleports are free (bound outsider) or a demiplate that is used as a buffer.
But, the objective is not to break a game, is to make a showoff gimmick of a wizard that is indeed helpful and don't cause a major discomfort to society and good masses.
Right now the party is at level 9 and any high level spell that they can't cast yet is available through scrolls bought in another city via teleports and purchase orders. relevant members are: Wizard 9, Cleric 9, Mite Druid 6(cohort)
Best suggestions that were found so far:
- Animated Object (collossal) Sure it's cost is about 30k plus base materials but construction points can make it fly at decent speed and 46 STR can make it a really good beast of burden. If made like a spider, it's carry weight might be even bigger, but it will have to deal with rough terrain and obstacles. A flying ship or a fort with spider legs
- Any flying or quadruped colossal creature that was a target of Animate Dead with a couple of precautions against paladins and whatnot. Far cheaper solution but also far riskier because of the need of constant wards against detections. Good candidates are a Shipwrecked Crab, Megafauna or Titan Centipede
- Any gigantic vermin or animal that was tamed and trained by said Mite Druid
- A candidate for the role of Atlas Telamon where some giant or other strong humanoid is given strength boosting items, muleback cords, masterwork "backpack", ant haul and so on, making a rather comical image of a tiny man carrying a mountain on top of his shoulders. Multiple Atlases can be hired and really expensive items like +6 belt of giant's strenghth can be given for a time when kingdom is at peace.
- Playing with shipping containers and Shrink Item spell. the goods are loaded, spell is cast(ether by a wand, scroll or caster) and a much smaller-than-colossal bird will carry the container wherever it's needed.
My only concern, right now, is that those beasts of burden will be used as siege engines or platforms for those to do pinpoint strikes (or just make it rain a metric ton of rubble on their heads every round) during war phases so the enemy side will have to deal with that somehow which add yet another layer of complexity on top (maybe a good old shower of fireballs/dispells/save-or-dies to deal with that after a couple of uses on enemies)
Anyone have recomendations on which is best suited for the kingdom's freighter role? Maybe I've missed something?