For Bards that are NOT College of Lore
This table is generated using the same methods that Axoren used in their answer to the base question about Sorcerers.
How to Use it
Like with Axoren's table, the way to use it is to read each column as permitting spells of that level or lower. So for example, a level 9 Bard can know:
- 2 Spells of 5th Level or lower
- 4 Spells of 4th Level or lower
- 4 Spells of 3rd Level or lower
- 2 Spells of 2nd Level or lower
Then, go though the Spell List, sorting in descending order by Spell Level, and check off the highest category of spell level that each spell is valid for. As long as you don't exceed the limit for that slot, your list is valid. So for this list for a 9th level bard:
- 1 5th level
- 3 4th levels
- 6 3rd levels
- 1 2nd level
- 1 1st level
We can prove it's valid.
- The 5th level + 1 4th level check off "2 5th level",
- the remaining 4th levels + 2 3rd levels check off "4 4th level",
- the remaining 3rd levels check off "4 3rd level",
- and the 2nd + 1st level spells count for "2 2nd level".
The thing that makes Bards different from Sorcerers is their Magical Secrets feature, which substantially increases the total number of spells they can learn relative to a Sorcerer. Bards ultimately learn 22 spells over their career, learning 2 spells at once at levels 10, 14, and 18, causing some unusual spikes in their table.
For College of Lore Bards
The table is similar, but because of their Additional Magical Secrets feature, they get two additional spells at level 6, producing knock-on effects on the table. The table is used the same way. I've highlighed the columns that changed in orange.