Is there a device or spell that records current events and stores this footage for playback?
I run a High Fantasy Pathfinder campaign. Characters in the campaign accept that one may Teleport or create a Wall Of Force. Spellcasters can create illusions with visual, auditory, olfactory (smell) and thermal components. Some illusions last only as long as concentration plus a few rounds while other illusions are permanent. So, footage may be displayed.
I'd like the game to include more intrigue. For example:
- The villains want to record events for blackmail purposes
- The Player Characters want to record evidence to display at a trial
- Both sides want evidence to show a deed was done.
- The Player Characters want a recorded history of their battles
- They play these back at the tavern Sunday evenings and get into arguments with That Other Party about who "killed it better."
Is there a spell or device that would record events permanently?
Yes, essentially I am searching for a High Fantasy implementation of a smartphone or camcorder. (Olfactory and/or Thermal recording are bonus features but not necessary.)
Is there a variant rule or a device that allows a spellcaster to create a Major Image that is Permanent, Factually Accurate, and Difficult to Alter once made? Permanent Image almost fits the bill, but:
- The effect essentially fills a room and stays there. There's no way to tie the image to an object for transport.
- The caster creates the image based on his or her biases. The resulting image is not an objective recording of the facts.
- It's not clear to me if any of Silent Image, Major Image or Permanent Image actually display events changing over time. The description for Silent Image implies that the visual can change over time if the caster wishes:
You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect.
I have Ultimate Intrigue but I have not yet found what I'm looking for in that rule book.
My initial search was for a spell. A device usable by those who are not spellcasters would be even better.