I wanna preface this by saying I'm a D&D fanboy/wannabe, Baldur's Gate and Critical Role is the closest I've ever gotten to playing the game. One of the things I love about any game is character creation, I can sit in any game and just create a character for hours on end, so naturally I'd be interested in the D&D character creation process.
- Paladin, you get Divine Sense and Lay on Hands
- Paladin, you get Fighting Style (Great Weapon), Divine Smite, Cure Wounds and Detect Magic
- Fighter, you get Fighting Style (Defense), Second Wind
- Fighter, you get Action Surge
- Fighter, you get Martial Archetype (Eldritch Knight), Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Absorb Elements, Identify, Find Familiar (white raven)
- Sorcerer, you get Sorcerous Origin (Divine Soul, affinity for law/good), Message, Thaumaturgy, Minor Illusion, Fire Bolt, Comprehend Languages, Ceremony, Bless (Divine Soul)
- Sorcerer, you get Font of Magic, Feather Fall
- Sorcerer, you get Metamagic (Quickened, Twinned), Detect Thoughts, replace Feather Fall with Alter Self
- Sorcerer, you get Ability Score Improvement, Mending, Feather Fall
- Sorcerer, you get Fireball, replace Feather Fall with Counterspell
- Sorcerer, you get Origin Feature (Empowered Healing), Tongues
- Sorcerer, you get Dimension Door
- Sorcerer, you get Ability Score Improvement, Divination
- Sorcerer, you get Teleportation Circle, replace Divination with Geas
- Sorcerer, you get Metamagic (Empowered or Extended), True Strike, Mass Cure Wounds
- Sorcerer, you get Disintegrate
- Sorcerer, you get Ability Score Improvement
- Sorcerer, you get Resurrection, replace Teleportation Circle with Teleport
- Sorcerer, you get Origin Feature (Otherworldly Wings, eagle according to rules but I prefer white raven wings if allowed)
- Sorcerer, you get Plane Shift
Final build at level 20
Hit points: (5d10(min 30) + 15d6(min 60)) + (Constitution mod * 20), at const mod +2 it's 130-180, at +4 it's 170-220
Hit dice: 5d10 + 15d6
Spells known: 28 (2 paladin rank 1, 2 wizard cantrips, 3 wizard rank 1, 6 sorcerer cantrips, 14 sorcerer, 1 sorcerer origin)
Spell slots: 4x1, 3x2, 3x3, 3x4, 2x5, 1x6, 1x7, 1x8, 1x9 (1 paladin, 1 fighter, 15 sorcerer = 17 multiclass level for spell slots)
- Otherworldly Wings (Divine Soul, white raven wings)
- Lay on Hands (paladin)
- Divine Sense (paladin)
- Second Wind (fighter)
- Action Surge (fighter)
- Metamagic Quickened, Twinned, Empowered/Extended (sorcerer)
- Empowered healing (Divine Soul)
- Weapon Bond (Eldritch Knight)
0 : Mage Hand (wizard), Prestidigitation (wizard), Fire Bolt, Thaumaturgy, Minor Illusion, Message, Mending, True Strike
1 : Cure Wounds (paladin), Detect Magic (paladin), Absorb Elements (wizard), Identify (wizard), Find Familiar (wizard), Comprehends Languages, Ceremony, Bless (Divine Soul)
2 : Detect Thoughts, Alter Self
3 : Fireball, Counterspell, Tongues
4 : Dimension Door
5 : Geas, Mass Cure Wounds
6 : Disintegrate
7 : Resurrection, Teleport, Plane Shift
8 : -
9 : -
For the normal fights you use mostly Fire Bolt that you spend sorcery points to empower. At level 11 as a sorcerer Fire Bolt deals 3d10 damage, using Quickened you can cast it twice on a single target, and optionally Twinned to cast on an additional target. For packs of creatures you use Fireball, but your main source of damage should be Fire Bolt as you save most of your magical strength for RP abilities and the boss fight combo.
In a boss fight the super combo is to have all 11 sorcery points at the start if you want to use Twinned, otherwise you just need 4, then use this combo on your turn:
- Action Surge
- Action 1: Disintegrate at 6th level on the boss
- Action 2: Disintegrate at 7th level on the boss, optionally Twinned against a second target
- Bonus Action 1: Disintegrate at 8th level on the boss using Quickened
- Bonus Action 2: Disintegrate at 9th level on the boss using Quickened
This should lead to being capable of dealing 10d6 + 40, 13d6 + 40, 16d6 + 40 and 19d6 + 40 damage to a single target in one turn, optionally with another 13d6 to a secondary target. That should kill most creatures you'll meet, if not then you still have double Fire Bolt spam and your basic fighting abilities to finish them off, or your allies can deal with what's left. You've done your part.
- You need at least 13 strength and 13 charisma in order to pick the paladin, fighter and sorcerer classes.
- I know some of this is not taken from the standard edition, like the Eldritch Knight archetype and Divine Soul origin.
- Originally it was supposed to be a demonic character with 9 figher and 11 sorcerer (pyromancer), but I had to make it 2 paladin 3 fighter 15 sorcerer in order to make the boss combo work, or else I wouldn't have the spell slots to cast 4 disintegrates. With more levels in sorcerer Divine Soul was more interesting than Pyromancer, and with the start as a paladin it just made sense to make the character a bit more good and holy, it makes it better for actual games as well since evil characters are generally unwelcome in most campaigns.
- Already when you first get Disintegrate at character level 16 you can use it twice on one target, at 18 you get thrice and then four times on a single target at level 20. The reasoning behind not picking other abilities at 6th rank and up (apart from more situational or rarely used spells like Teleport, Plane Shift and Resurrection) is that you want to save all those spell slots for the boss combo. Since your fighting is done either as fire bolt, fireball or disintegrate all other spells are focused around roleplaying and situational abilities.
- The build is centered around the two concepts of casting multiple Disintegrate spells and being an armored sorcerer with a two handed sword.
- I know that anything is possible with the power of the DM at your side, but I'd like this build to be usable for, if not all, then most campaigns.
Is this character built according to the rules?