The Mold Earth cantrip offers the following option:
You choose a portion of dirt or stone that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You manipulate it in one of the following ways:
- If you target an area of loose earth, you can instantaneously excavate it, move it along the ground, and deposit it up to 5 feet away. This movement doesn’t have enough force to cause damage.
(plus some other options)
What is loose earth?
For example, which of the following would meet this criteria:
- Top soil of a recently plowed field
- Digging a 10 ft hole in the middle of said same field
- Digging a 10 ft hole with a mixture of dirt, gravel, clay
- Digging a 10 ft hole in a cobblestone road
- Digging a 10 ft hole in solid stone
- Digging a 10 ft hole under the foundation of a building
As an analogy, would it be accurate to say that this spell would work on anything in minecraft that I can use a wooden shovel on (with the exception of snow)?
See also: Is it possible to create a sink hole with mold earth and a portable hole?