On D&D Beyond, the Half-Elf page has this structure, and roughly the following content:
- Half-Elf variants (saying that some variants forego Skill Versatility)
- Half-Elf traits (showing all the traits of the Half-Elf)
- Aquatic Half-Elf (doesn't mention "variant" nor forgoing Skill Versatility)
- Drow Half-Elf (doesn't mention "variant" nor forgoing Skill Versatility)
- High Half-Elf (mentions "variant" but doesn't mention forgoing Skill Versatility)
- Wood Half-Elf (mentions "variant" and mentions forgoing Skill Versatility)
When I compare to other race pages, when a subrace removes a feature, it explicitly says so, but for the Half-Elf, it's so confusing that I don't understand anything.
So what exactly happens here? How can I correctly choose a Half-Elf subrace traits? What exactly is a "variant"? Do all subraces must forgo the Skill Versatility to get the other trait?