A little while ago I posted this homebrew Patron option here. I got some great feedback and have returned not only with an update but also with some homebrew Invocations that support the overall Planescape theme I've been longing for in my games.
The Lady of Pain Patron
You have quietly made a Pact with the Lady of Pain and her Cage. As a shadow of Her Serenity, you have been charged with maintaining balance among the planes while preserving the Lady’s privacy. As part of this pact, you have the following restrictions & benefits:
- You must never divulge the nature of your pact, even under pain of death.
- You must protect the Dabu and the city of Sigil, and never bring either harm.
- Alcohol and other intoxicants have no diminishing effect on the pain you feel. Conversely, your tolerance for pain has increased by twice that of most mortal creatures.
- The City of Doors is intuitive for you to navigate; most doors there are available for your travel if they are not being actively obstructed or hidden.
- You can understand the strange visual language of the Dabu, but cannot communicate using it.
Expanded Spell List
1st: shield, inflict Wounds
2nd: cloud of daggers, heat metal
3rd: blink, glyph of warding
4th: greater invisibility, death ward
5th: planar binding, dispel evil and good
Starting at 1st level, you can as an action cast an ominous shadow in a 10-foot radius that provides you with several benefits:
- You gain a bonus to your AC equal to half your Charisma modifier, rounded down (minimum of +1).
- As part of a single melee attack, you can turn the shadow against hostile creatures, rendering them vulnerable to slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage for the attack. Once the shadow is used in this way, it recedes until you have taken a long rest.
- You can as an action while your shadow is active, gain advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) Checks. Once the shadow is used in this way, it recedes until you have taken a long rest.
At 10th level, the shadow’s aura protects and hides allies with its radius, which also expands to 30 feet. Additionally the powers of the shadow can be used a number of time equal to your Charisma Modifier (Minimum of 2) before needing to take a long rest.
By 6th level, your body has adapted to recovering from gruesome injuries. If you have hit points equal to or less than half of your hit point maximum, you can use an action to spend one hit dice + your Charisma modifier to regain hit points.
At 14th level, you can cast the plane shift spell once without using a spell slot or material components so long as you are headed to Sigil. You can use this feature to travel elsewhere if you possess the material component as normal. You can also immediately identify the plane and general location of someone is who is using a spell or magical effect to travel to another plane assuming they are within your visible range. As an reaction to the plane shift spell being cast by another creature, you can counter that spell immediately. Using the feature in either of these ways will require a long rest before using either functionality again.
New Eldritch Invocations
The Lady's Maze
Prerequisites: Level 18, Lady of Pain Patron
You gain mastery of the specific pocket dimensions wherein the Lady of Pain stuffs Berks who displease her. You can cast the maze spell once without using a spell slot. The maze appears to be a circular series of platforms, paths, and portals. The maze can also be cast on willing group of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier. items and inanimate objects left in the maze will remain there. If the maze is used in this way, you must succeed a DC 20 Intelligence check to end the spell early. Once this Invocation has been used for either function you must take a long rest to gain access to the maze again.
Prerequisites: Level 5, Lady of Pain Patron
You are becoming crueler to your foes as you now critical hit on an attack roll of 19 or 20 while your Serenity's Shadow feature is active, additionally you become proficient in the Intimidation Skill if you are not already.
Prerequisites: Level 10, Lady of Pain Patron, Pact of the Blade
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 3d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use your Pact Weapon. This invocation does not stack with the Rogue’s Sneak Attack Feature.
I thought you were a deader for sure!
Prerequisites: Level 12, Lady of Pain Patron
Injuries are a daily occurrence in your line of work granting you further insight into anatomy and medicine. You gain proficiency in the medicine skill, additionally when you use the Severance feature you can reattach a severed limb by holding a severed body part (other than your head) to where it fell off. Once you use this feature to reattach a limb, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.