One of my favourite critters is the Draco volans, and I'm working on a racial splat for a Humanoid-sized player race based on this little reptile for a D&D 5e campaign.
Using the Aarakocra stat splat as a starting point, I downgraded 'Flight' to 'Glide' and adding a climbing speed. I'm a little concerned that the downgrade would make this race underpowered and that the wording for the 'Glide' is too cumbersome.
And without further ado, the proposed racial traits are:
- Ability Score Increase: +2 DEX, +1 WIS
- Size: Medium
- Age: Yes
- Languages: Draconic & Common
- Speed: 25 ft. walking; 25 ft. climbing.
- Climbing Claws: Grants climbing speed equal to walking speed; Natural weapon for (1d4 + ability mod) damage, with finesse property
- Glide: You can glide for short periods of time. You have a fly speed of 60 feet, but cannot gain altitude with this trait. While gliding, you descend at a minimum rate of 5 feet vertically for every 15 feet travelled horizontally. If you are still in the air at the end of this movement, you fall. You cannot use this trait if you are wearing medium or heavy armor.
Is this homebrew race balanced with respect to the official published races?