In my original question, the consensus was that my proposed racial splat based on these awesome little critters:
It was weighing in a little on the underpowered side, being a weaker version of a race found in the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.
So looking to augment the racial traits a little, I looked back to nature for further inspiration, and I can't believe I missed this little guy!
That's Draco dussumieri, a cousin of the common Draco volans. So with a nod to the stealthiness of the Draco family, let's add something to boost their ability to Hide.
Based on Akixkisu's assessment of the initial build at ~21 points, and based on the "Detect Balance" evaluator and the guide's "recommended score for new homebrew races is 24 to 27", I added the Stealth skill proficiency (+2 pts) and what I hope is "A sometimes useful feature", Inconspicuous (+2 pts). How does it look?
- Ability Score Increase: +2 DEX, +1 WIS
- Size: Medium
- Age: Yes
- Languages: Draconic & Common
- Speed: 25 ft. walking; 25 ft. climbing.
- Climbing Claws: Grants climbing speed equal to walking speed;
Natural weapon for (1d4 + ability mod) slashing damage, with the finesse property
- Glide: You can glide for short periods of time. You have a fly speed of 60 feet, but cannot gain altitude with this trait.
While gliding, you descend at a minimum rate of 5 feet vertically for every 15 feet traveled horizontally. You can safely descend up to 100 feet during your move, and Vertical distance travelled while gliding does not count against your total move distance.
If you are still in the air at the end of this movement you fall from the point where your movement ended, taking damage as normal.
If you involuntarily begin to fall (i.e. not during your movement or as a consequence of finishing a glide in midair), you may use your reaction to glide.
You cannot use this trait if you are encumbered (if using encumbrance rules) or if you are wearing medium or heavy armor.
- Stealthy Climber: You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
- Inconspicuous: When taking the Hide action, as long as you do not have disadvantage on your Stealth check, you may always attempt to hide from creatures who are at least 10 feet below you, even if they could otherwise see you.
While you are hidden, you may use your bonus action to remain motionless and blend in with your surroundings. Until you move (or stop hiding), all creatures have disadvantage on sight- and sound-based Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) checks made to detect you.
("Age: Yes" is just a cheeky shorthand for "This doesn't matter mechanically, but will be delved into more for an official writeup". I went with WIS as a secondary racial ASI as that is usually applied to forest-dwellers, like wood-elves, aarakocra, lizardfolk, etc.)
Is this homebrew race balanced?