I'm blessed/cursed with a creative player who received the Staff of Adornment (XGE, p. 139). I originally assumed it was a mostly decorative minor magical item but it became their favorite toy. (The sole ability of the Staff of Adornment is that the player can hover three one pound objects just above it's tip while holding it)
Things he wants to do with the staff include (but aren't limited to):
- Use the end of the staff to pick small items up off the ground.
- Use the staff to catch rats and keep them floating above the staff.
- Picking up lumps of meat to use as a "staff of bait"
- Use it to hold 3 lamps and argued their 'lampstaff' should shine three times as far as a regular lamp as the bullseye lamp shines twice as far than a regular lamp and they both just use oil.
- Cast the Magic Stone cantrip (make 3 pebbles magical) to charge their melee attack with an extra 3 magical pebbles damage as they are on the business end of the staff.
- Put three daggers on calling it their magical trident, saying it will "add an additional three daggers of damage".
- Placed three vials, one of holywater, one of acid and one of alchemists fire arguing that a melee attack should break all three vials on the the enemies head, naming it 'the staff of f*ck up undead'.
- Players found a crystal ball and he thought it would be cool to have it hovering over the top of the staff. I looked it up and said it's too heavy as crystal balls weigh 3 pounds. The player argued it can hold three one pound objects so it could still work.
- Picking up "three one pound liquid spheres" of lava without touching them.
- Catching incoming projectiles and throwing them back.
The list goes on, but they all touch on the same basic idea: What, mechanically, can a character actually do with the Staff of Adornment and its affected items?