This question is meant to be an extension of this question on planar travel, this question on lower-level planar travel and this question on using blink and banishment to enter the Ethereal plane.
Based on how I read these, by using blink and banishment, my character can get to the Ethereal Plane... Is there a RAW way that I could get out of the Ethereal Plane onto a plane of my choosing?
I do not know of any solution beyond what was covered in the linked questions - I'm asking to confirm that no other answers exist. If the linked questions are comprehensive, this question is definitely a duplicate.
Our party wants to enter the Shadowfell, but our efforts to find portals have failed thus far. (When our characters have searched, the characters and most players didn't know where to look, so it could be our DM would let us find them if we applied ourselves better. However, we will assume that the DM is not deliberately hiding a portal).
- I would like a solution available at lower levels than I could use Etherealness or Plane Shift.
- I personally only have access to the PHB, DMG, MM, and XGtE, but I am open to any official (or even most 3rd party) material.
- I am focused on 5e, but I am also curious if there is something in earlier editions that fits the bill.
- For purposes of banishment, my character is from the Material Plane.
- If it matters, assume my character is a Wizard. You can also assume that each member of our party is non-evil (Good- or Neutral-aligned).
- This would be at the exclusion of solutions mentioned in other answers, such as Finding/obtaining a Scroll of Plane Shift, being a Planeswalker, becoming a Horizon Walker Ranger, or finding a Planar Portal.
(Again, if the answers to the linked questions are comprehensive, this question is a duplicate.)