The wizard in my campaign has a personal quest to stop the 'dark magic' that destroyed his home town. However his character knows very little of the details of exactly what happened. He was in the library studying (typical wizard things) during the event and only saw the aftermath. So during the campaign he has been seeking out places of magical learning that can help him learn what happened to his home.
As a source of information I came up with the idea of giving him some spell or ritual that he could use when he returned to his home town to gather information. I expect the party to be around 9th level when they gain this ritual. Ideally it would allow him to relieve the event as though he was there and gain first hand information. The event to be relived will be at least 3 years in the past by this time.
What I want
Ideally I am looking for a spell with the following criteria:
- 4th or 5th level and on the wizard spell list
- Has a high but achievable material component cost (~1000gp)
- Casting time between 1 min and 8 hours
- Allows the caster to relieve past events at their location
Close but not perfect
So far I have found three spells that fit some but not all of the criteria:
Ears of the City (Player Companion: Heroes of the Street)
- As a 1st level I feel this too easy for a major plot point in this character's story. I worry that it won't feel like a proper achievement to gain this spell.
- Spell relies on diplomacy/perception checks neither of which this player is strong in so could be unreliable.
Legend Lore (Core Rulebook pg.304)
- Details are very vague for what the player is trying to obtain. I know this is almost entirely up to the DM and I can make it work but I'm not sure the information they are seeking would be called "legendary".
- Resource expenditure is good, I would like this to be something the players have to work/plan for.
- As a 6th level it is higher level than would be available at the time. Though a scroll or something could easily bypass this.
Retrocognition (Occult Adventures pg.185)
- This probably has the best flavour of what I am going for. Psychic impressions that go further back the longer you concentrate for is great.
- As a 7th level spell is it beyond the reach of the party without giving them a scroll.
- Caster level limitations in the spell will make it difficult to see back far enough. 1 hour/minute is very slow, even the 1 week/minute at 13th level would make this more useful but my players are unlikely to be that high when using this.
Before I try to choose one of these spells, modify one or homebrew something entirely from scratch. I wanted to draw on the community wisdom for more information.
Are there any spells that allow a creature to see the past other than those I listed?
Answers don't need to meet all of my criteria above anything that meets the general goal is useful inspiration. If someone does find the perfect spell I will probably bounty it for being awesome.