Partially inspired by (but distinct from) this question: What is the maximum number of attacks a single character can make themselves during their turn?
I have a character concept for a character that makes several attacks every turn like a whirlwind of blades, so I was wondering what the maximum number of melee weapon attacks a single character could make in one turn every turn was. (So no consumable resources like spell slots or Action Surge.)
- Must be reliable and repeatable ad infinitum. (over and over again without end)
- Must not rely on any consumable resources such as spell slots or action surge unless you have a way to not run out of the resource.
- Hit or miss doesn't matter. If your strategy relies on hitting, provide counts for both with and without hitting.
- Must be able to be accomplished by a single character with no help from another.
- Must not require any magic items.
- You can use any weapon, provided it's not a magic item and is a melee weapon (and is being used as one).
- You make take any needed feats, provided they come from a racial ability (like variant human) or are taken in place of an ASI.
- Assume there is only a single target.
What is the maximum amount of melee weapon attacks a character can make reliably every turn?
The most I have come up with is dual-wielding light one-handed weapons as a level 20 fighter. This grants 4 attacks in a normal Attack action, plus 1 bonus-action attack.