I want to know the damage (as well as how such a thing would be worked out - show your working please - I want to learn how to do this by myself for the future, since I'm also interested in Tiers 3 and 4) that a ranger, well optimised for a DPR party role, can deal in a typical combat encounter (meaning, one that lasts the average number of rounds that combat tends to last in D&D; according to this, that means five rounds).
I'm interested in Tier 2 levels (specifically between levels 7 to 10 - I'm going to pick level 8 as my level to focus on, since that gives us the ranger's 7th level class archetype feature, an extra ASI to play with, but without the proficiency bonus being bumped up to +4 yet).
- Assume standard array stats, but assume the race to be Wood Elf for that +2 DEX and +1 WIS (or any race well suited to this role; I'm just suggesting Wood Elf because that's what I'd choose, I'm not married to it).
- No spells; let's assume this ranger already used up all their spell slots before this encounter.
- No multiclassing; this must be a ranger and nothing else.
- No magic items or buffs from others; I want this damage to be derived from the ranger's own class features and feats, etc, rather than magic items or other party members' spells.
- You can assume every attack hits, but I'm not interested in critical hits; we're lucky, but not that lucky.
- You can also assume that, if using a ranged weapon, that we have more than enough ammo for this encounter.
- Let's assume there's, say, a raging grapple-based barbarian who's soaking up the enemy's aggro and keeping the enemy pinned so that the ranger can ignore defense and focus solely on DPR.
- We can also assume that the ranger is the only one dealing damage against the target, which we can assume to be a single big-bag-of-hit-points enemy; this matters for a Hunter's Colossus Slayer feature, since the first hit won't be against a wounded target, but subsequent attacks will be.
- Sources are anything RAW, so not UA nor anything homebrew/third party.
I was originally going to ask for a Gloom Stalker Ranger, because it's popularly considered one of the strongest ranger archetypes, but then realised that some of its features aren't relevant, such as being invisible in darkness, if we're assuming that every attack hits and they don't need to worry about defense, so I'm leaving the archetype open for answerers to decide.
So, just to restate my question, I'm looking for the average damage over 5 rounds that a level 8 ranger of any race and archetype can deal with the above restrictions. This is in aid of trying to come up with my own answer to this deleted question.