So I've recently run across an inconsistency that I am trying to reconcile with the rules. There is a wide variety of modifications for creatures for defense, including but not limited to:
- Defends as Level X (Due to size and speed among other reasons) Discovery p223 under modifications, Discovery p227 Caffa
- Speed Defense as Level X (Due to size and speed, among other reasons) Discovery p228
- Might Defense as Level X Bestiary3 p98 Entelodont
- Intellect Defense as Level X Discovery p238
- Mental Defense as Level X Bestiary3 p110
- Attacks and makes Might defense rolls as level 7; Speed defense as level 8 (in part thanks to shield). Bestiary1 p140
- Speed defense as level 4. All defenses against heat as level 2. Bestiary3 p73
Descriptions of various defense actions are under the Action: Defend heading (Destiny 119), which specifically states that these rules are for PCs, as NPCs are treated differently.
My main question is when a player chooses a might as the pool for a melee action, is that a might defense action for the NPC? Or do the PC rules for defense work for NPCs the same way? Is Speed defense as level X essentially saying physical attacks? Why the inconsistency between Intellect defense and mental defense?
This leads to some very interesting questions, like why does a Caffa adult have the modification: In tight spaces, defends as level 3 due to their ability to maneuver and dodge in unexpected ways.
Why does it get a blanket Defense boost instead of just a speed defense boost?
If a might based glaive is indeed making might attacks, then for large high level monsters that player is at a great disadvantage. for example RUMBLING DASIPELT level 7, but speed defence as level 3! That's essentially a 4 level easment for speed defense tasks, and if a might based glaive is making might defense attacks then they are really losing out.
Example: A nano using onslaught, it has two modes, a mindslice and a physical beam of force. It's an intellect action since it costs 1 Int to use.
Is is succeptable to Intellect Defense as X since it's an intellect action? Or only when it's the mental mindslice?
Is it succeptable to Speed Defense as X? but only when it's the physical? But it's a intellect action?
Is it only succeptable to mental defenses when it's in the mental mode?