As the title states, I have a question about how the rules handle using the Extra Attack class feature to make two separate attacks with a two-handed weapon and a thrown weapon.
PHB Errata. Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it.
PHB Page 190. You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack.
Not official rule, but this developer Tweet says:
@DnDMontreal [Apr 4, 2015]:
@JeremyECrawford what are the rules on dropping weapons? People are dropping weapons to circumvent only having one 'Interaction with Object'
@JeremyECrawford [Apr 4, 2015]:
@DnDMontreal The intent is that letting go of something requires no appreciable effort. But picking it up does.
So, my question is, can I perform this sequence of events during my turn?
- Start turn with Halberd in both hands
- Let go of Halberd with one hand (either letting the pole arm hang mid-air in one hand, or propping it up with the butt-end on the ground) without using "free action"
- Draw Javelin from storage, throw said Javelin at one target out of melee range
- Replace second hand onto halberd to attack second target that IS within melee range
- Use Bonus Action to do whatever I want (including possibly butt-end attack with Halberd from Polearm Master feat)
This comes up as a result of looking at a handful of other questions, and finding them all not quite capturing my own question:
- Holding a longbow (or other 2H weapon) and attacking with a shortsword (or other 1H weapon)?
- This question is only concerned about using one weapon while holding the other and has nothing to do with multiple attacks as main action. It also served as a good baseline for formatting my question :)
- Can you draw and or throw a javelin on one or more successive turns while still using a 2-handed weapon for opportunity attacks?
- This question focuses on the reactions you can make with a polearm, which are also relevant options my character would want to have available. It has the parts of shifting weapon to one hand and back to two hands, but nothing of multiple attacks.
- Can you drop one hand from a two-handed weapon to draw and use a single-handed weapon next turn?
- This is only one small part of my question. It is also how I found the Sage Advice.
- Can you attack with more than one weapon when using Extra Attack?
- This answered part of my question as well. I especially love the example given in Dale M's answer
- Can you attack with different weapons using Extra Attack?
- Finally this question also answered part of my question as well.
I apologize for the wall of text, but based on this research, my reading is that the above scenario is allowed per RAW (and a little RAI doesn't hurt my case). I just want confirmation from the larger community to make sure that I got it right for when I present it to my DM and fellow players.