I got interested in the cursed item Shield of Missile Attraction, but I have some doubts about how it works. Consider the following scenario:
- Thurin the dwarven fighter is walking along the city street, wearing full plate armor and wielding this cursed shield for a total AC of 20.
- Dalena the elven mage is just some steps beyond Thurin (and thus inside the 10-foot radius of the shield's effect). She has a total AC of 15.
- Greg the thief is planning to kill the mage, from the roof, since she killed his beloved one. He attacks her with his crossbow, and gets a total of 16 on the attack roll.
Since Thurin the fighter has the cursed shield, he becomes the target of Greg's attack. My question is:
- Does Greg have to use the original attack roll (16, in this case) because the shield changes only the target? In this case, the attack misses and Thurin does not get hurt.
- Or does Greg have to make a new attack roll? In this case, the dwarf may still get hit.
The first one seems to be more fair, since the attacker actually does not know that the dart will be deviated towards the owner of the shield.