My table likes to theorycraft and make builds that are then playtested via PvP. We generally run fairly strict RAW and don't allow homebrew, but we have allowed Unearthed Arcana in the past. I'm trying to see what other builds I can make using this potential race below and how it might stack up in PvP if we allow it.
I'd like to see how this race is balanced against the existing ones to see if we could include it in our PvP testing:
The Virashti are a race of blue-skinned, four-armed geniuses that lives in forest cities. They have learned how to balance advancing technology while preserving nature. They have the best education system in the galaxy.
- Ability Scores Increase. Your Dexterity score increase by 2, and your Intelligence score increase by 1.
- Age. Virashti mature about the same rate as humans, but they can live up to 100 years.
- Alignment. Most Virashti are good in nature. They generally don't have a preference towards lawful or chaotic.
- Size. Virashti range from 5 feet to over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Four-Armed. Your morphology has grant you an extra set of arms. These arms can be used for tasks such as, performing somatic components of spells, grappling, or wielding weapons. Once per turn, you can also draw, stow, or interact with an object requiring no action, assuming you have a free hand.
When you attack with a weapon that does not have the Heavy property, you can make an off-hand attack using a separate weapon that also does not have the Heavy property using your bonus action. This off-hand attack does not add your ability modifier to the damage rolls, following the rules of two-weapon fighting.
Furthermore, you cannot use a shield while you are wielding a weapon with the Heavy property, or wielding more than one weapon simultaneously.
- Virashti Training and Knowledge. You are proficient in the Athletics or Sleight of Hand skill, and one skill of your choice from the following list: Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, or Religion.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Virashti.
The goal is to have a playable four-armed race in D&D 5e. The Four-Armed trait allows you to dual wield longswords (or equivalent) and rapiers right out the gate, making the Dual Wielder feat less appealing (if not obsolete). This also means that you can dual wield non-heavy two-handed weapons such as, greatclubs, light crossbows, or shortbows.
Other races usually gets a combination of natural weapon/natural armor, innate spellcasting, skill and/or tool proficiencies, damage type resistances and a unique racial trait. Those with a stronger unique trait usually have less racial traits overall. However, I have struggled assessing how powerful the Four-Armed trait actually is, and the Virashti race as a whole.
I've compared it to races like Aarakocra, which gets flight, and Satyrs, which gets magic resistance, and feels like this is pretty balanced, or at least comparable to them. Dual wielding shortbows is especially comparable to variant Humans picking up Crossbow Expert, if not worse. So far in my campaign, I've yet to pull the dual wielding shortbows gimmick, so I don't know how that plays yet.
Is this race overpowered when compared to other 5e races? And if so, how can I improve balancing this race? A comment suggested for me to put a standard for the basis of the comparison. I guess by balanced I mean that I don't want the Virashti to be the only "viable" choice when min-maxing a specific build.