I've been wondering if this homebrew Medusa race me and my friends thought up was balanced compared to official races. Here are the stats:
- +2 Dex, +1 Cha
- Darkvision: Not all the medusa’s curse offers up are disadvantages. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Natural Armor: You have tough, scaly skin. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield’s benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
- Size: Your size is Medium.
- Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 ft.
- Snake Hair: Your hair is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4 + your Dexterity or Strength modifier. You can use either Strength or Dexterity for the attack roll.
- Quick Read: You gain proficiency with the Insight skill.
- Petrifying Gaze: At level 1 you have the ability to cast the Hold Person spell. The spell doesn't require components and while under the effects of this spell, the target is considered three times heavier. Once you cast this spell, you can’t cast it again until you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
- Languages: You can speak, read and write Common and Abyssal.
The main ability I am unsure of is Petrifying Gaze - I thought straight up petrification was too powerful, so I am powered it down. I am unsure if I powered it down too much or too little.