5
\$\begingroup\$

We are preparing for a boss rush against the Demon Lords, and I am hoping to use planar binding on one of them. However, that spell has a casting time of 1 hour, so I am wondering whether there are any items, spells, or methods to decrease that to an action.

We can bring any item with a rarity below legendary, and any wizard spell (except for wish because we failed the 33% chance) with us. We have two wizards: a Chronurgist and a Necromancer.

\$\endgroup\$
7
  • \$\begingroup\$ Welcome to RPG.SE! Take the tour if you haven't already, and check out the help center for more guidance. \$\endgroup\$
    – V2Blast
    Oct 5 at 3:33
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ You both lost the ability to cast wish? \$\endgroup\$ Oct 5 at 3:43
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ And by “below legendary” you mean “very rare and below”? \$\endgroup\$ Oct 5 at 3:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ this whole thing would be a whole lot easier with Wish, and wouldn't even risk triggering the 33% chance xD \$\endgroup\$ Oct 5 at 7:35
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Yeah I mean very rare and below, we didn't fail our saves but rather our DM gave us three flat uses of wish, and we weren't expecting to play these characters again. For plot reasons however we are doing a one shot that does require them though \$\endgroup\$ Oct 5 at 8:04
2
\$\begingroup\$

A little frame challenge - your DM probably should allow you to roll a chance to use Wish.

Per your comment:

we didn't fail our saves but rather our DM gave us three flat uses of wish, and we weren't expecting to play these characters again. For plot reasons however we are doing a one shot that does require them though

3 flat uses are decent deal for one-shot characters, but not so great for recurring ones, so when you agreed to that, you didn't have information to make an informed decision. In other words, your player's agency was limited.

If your characters have never cast Wish in stress inducing manner, they should by all means be able to do it again. Even if some uses was stressful, each character's chance to still be able to cast it is, depending on number of stress inducing uses:

  1. 67%
  2. 67%2 ≈ 45%
  3. 67%3 ≈ 30%

I strongly recommend you to ask your DM to allow you to roll that probability. That way you will be back to normal rules, and in worst case scenario you both used wish in stress inducing manner 3 times, you still have a 64% chance that at least one of you will be able to cast it again.

\$\endgroup\$
4
  • \$\begingroup\$ if your math is for probability to pass the 33% you need 1-.33^3. \$\endgroup\$
    – Tiger Guy
    Oct 5 at 13:19
  • \$\begingroup\$ @TigerGuy there is a 33% chance to never be able to use Wish again. So there is a 67% chance to be able to cast wish again. Chance to be able to use it after second casting is 67% of there being second casting * 67% of stress after second casting. Thus, my math is good. \$\endgroup\$
    – Mołot
    Oct 5 at 13:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ across 3 characters the chance of passing at least once is much better than 33%. \$\endgroup\$
    – Tiger Guy
    Oct 5 at 13:32
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @TigerGuy Question states there are 2 wizards, not 3, and my answer states there is a 64% chance o at least one still being able to cast wish, not 33%. So what are you really commenting about? Where are your numbers from? Especially that 33%, definitely not taken from my answer. \$\endgroup\$
    – Mołot
    Oct 5 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.