I am asking about an edge case based on the three paragraphs under "Encounters with PC Mounts" on DMG 46. So far as I can tell these paragraphs are not reproduced anywhere else, and these paragraphs are why I am asking this question. Please bear this in mind when you answer; thank you.
When a PC with Mounted Combat uses another PC as a mount, how do their turns and movement interact?
I've got a player who wants to build a pixie (Tiny) with the Mounted Combat feat, and ride another (Medium) PC as its mount. The players involved are fine with however this works out. The Mounted Combat mechanics are pretty clear, and there are often different rules for an NPC or a PC:
The mount and rider act on the rider’s initiative count.
A monster and its mount have separate turns, whereas an adventurer and his or her mount have a single turn.
An adventurer and his or her mount have a shared set of actions: a standard action, a move action, and a minor action. However, they each have their own free actions.
...But then there are three paragraphs on DMG 46, beneath the heading "Encounters with PC Mounts." I have snipped out the relevant bits:
[...] You can allow the PCs and the creatures they ride to get their own sets of actions, especially if a character rides a powerful, intelligent monster such as a dragon. However, at that point you have effectively added an additional member to the party. [...] You should use this rule if the mount’s level is at the party’s level or higher, or if its level is no more than two below the characters’ level. [...]
This is clearly counter to the PC Mounted Combat rules in many ways, and is more akin to the rules for mounted NPCs. Obviously a PC is an intelligent mount (despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary), and in this case the level of mount and rider will be equal. With that in mind...
- Should the mounted PC be treated as a normal mount for a PC, losing his turn and becoming subordinate to the rider?
- If 1 is "no", do they share initiative counts?
- If 1 is "no", can the rider use his move action to make the mounted PC move, or force the mount to act by spending his own actions in any other way described by the Mounted Combat rules?
- Can the mounted PC use the rider's base skill check bonuses as described in the Mounted Combat feat (e.g. a human with a pixie on his shoulder uses the pixie's Stealth modifier)?
- How would feats like Holy Steed, which gives a rider's mount bonuses to defenses and damage, be applied?