The hozu are a race of humanoid monkeys who live in dense forests and jungles of high elevation. They're a resourceful and cunning folk who lack a concept of fair play and have developed ways and techniques of dirty fighting. They live in large family groups, ruled over by a war leader and a great sage.
This is a very rough first draft. The abilities are meant to convey their tricky, dirty fighting and they're suppose to be good monks. I know there probably are some balance concerns, but I hope some of you will be able to specifically pinpoint them.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2 and either your Strength or Wisdom scores increase by 1.
- Size. Hozu stand between 5 and 6 feet. Your size is medium.
- Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.
- Creature Type. Your creature type is humanoid.
- Nimble Dodge. If a melee attack misses you, you can immediately move 5 feet in any direction that isn't blocked as a reaction. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.
- Monkey Grip. You can use Dexterity in place of Strength for any checks made to shove or grapple.
- Tricky Fist. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage and can use Dexterity for both attack rolls and damage rolls.
- Trip and Bash. Once per turn when you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you can Shove that creature as part of the attack. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
- Agile Climber. You have a climbing speed equal to your walking speed.
- Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and Simian.
Is this homebrew race overpowered?