So, I'm playing a Drakewarden Ranger and at lv7, the drake grows in size. The rules state the following:
In addition, while your drake is summoned, you and the drake gain the following benefits: Drake Mount. The drake grows to Medium size. Reflecting your special bond, you can use the drake as a mount if your size is Medium or smaller. While you are riding your drake, it can’t use the flying speed of this feature.
And at lv15:
Large Drake. The drake grows to Large size. When you ride your drake, it is no longer prohibited from using the flying speed of Bond of Fang and Scale.
I don't want to use the drake as a mount and would rather have a small drake by my side than a large, bulky drake. So my question is: Does the drake HAVE to become medium (or large at lv15)?
In my mind, there would be three solutions:
- Simplest: He just grows, deal with it.
- Simple: Drake stays small and you don't get the benefit of Drake Mount and Large Drake at all.
- Greedy: Stays small, still gets flying speed.
Just to clarify why I ask for RAW or opinions is the following:
- If the drake stays small, it can position more easily against large foes and doesn't really provide cover for enemies when others use ranged attacks.
- If it grows, it eventually takes up melee space, provides cover for enemies and blocks my party and in general makes the drake less viable in dungeons (unless they have huge rooms/passageways).
That's about it. Any answers, be it opinions or RAW, are welcomed.