This is a very specific situation. And it didn't actually happen, but I was theorizing with a friend and we couldn't agree on the outcome.
In The Wild Beyond The Witchlight campaign there are Detached Shadow creatures which have the following attack:
Strength Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) necrotic damage, and the target's Strength score is reduced by 1d4. The target falls unconscious if this reduces its Strength to 0. The creature regains consciousness and the reduction to its Strength score disappears after it finishes a short or long rest.
If the following things are true:
- Player 1 Has cast Polymorph on Player 2 to and turned them into a Giant Ape.
- There are numerous Detached Shadows that have attacked Player 2 as a Giant Ape.
- Player 2 as the Giant Ape has dropped to 0 strength but still has HP Remaining.
- Player 1 has not dropped concentration on Polymorph
- We are playing D&D 5e
What would happen to Player 2:
- Player 2 would revert back to their original form.
- Player 2 would be knocked unconscious AS a giant ape.
The description of polymorph can be found here.