Brand new to D&D 5e and trying to wrap my head around the accumulation and spending of Hit Die. My understanding is that:
- Hit Die are used to determine your character's Max HP
- Hit Die are gained for each Character Level you gain
- Hit Die are determined by your class plus some modifier for example a Cleric might have a d8 Hit Die and roll
1d8+3each time the character gains a Level
- If I'm Level 3, I have three (3) d8 Hit Die and have, say, 40 Max HP
- If I Level up to 4, then I get a 4th d8 Hit Die, roll it and say it rolls a 5. I add 5 + 3 and my max HP is now 48
If anything I've said above is incorrect or slightly misled, please begin by correcting me (and as an aside to my actual question, I'd love to know where that
+3 modifier is coming from! I thought it was supposed to be the Constitution modifier but I got this from a Lost Mines of Phandelver Character Sheet for a
Cleric 1 but his/her CON modifier is +2, so not sure where +3 is coming from!).
Assuming I'm more or less correct, I'm not understanding why we need to keep track of how many Hit Die we have (why there's a space for recording it on my Character Sheet). And I'm not understanding how these accumulated Hit Dice are "spent" when I want to replenish some lost HP during and/or after combat, nor how to "replenish" spend Hit Dice. Can someone help point me in the right direction here?