I've seen a number of TikTok and YouTube videos recently about breaking the sound barrier in D&D. The builds proposed by these videos are very restrictive, so I was wondering if this feat could be done with less restricted builds.
For the purpose of this question, "breaking the sound barrier" means physically moving (i.e. not teleporting) at least 6,900 feet with your movement within one round. This only needs to be achievable reliably (100% of attempts) at least once per day, and you can use any non-legendary magic items, multiclassing, and feats. You may not use magic items that permanently boost Ability Scores, Epic Boons, or assistance from other characters that you cannot summon yourself.
What 20th level character build can break the sound barrier with the most liberty remaining in their build? I consider the following selections to be key to a character build, and thus would rather their liberty be preserved. The less of these that are required for the speed feat, the better the answer.
- Character race
- Character primary class (the class with the most levels)
- Character primary subclass (for the class with the most levels)
- Number of levels needed for multiclass dips
- ASI/feat selections
- Attunement slots
For the purposes of the question, I will treat all of these as equally important to build liberty, so my evaluation of build liberty uses the following formula:
- 1 point if character race is free
- 1 point if the majority of class levels (at least 11) are free
- 1 point if the primary class does not have a required subclass (guaranteed if the primary class if free)
- 1 point for each level that is not restricted (assuming the primary class goes to level 11)
- 1 point for each ASI/feat selection that is free (not counting extra ones from Rogue or Fighter)
- 1 point for each attunement slot that is free